Friday, February 15, 2019

Investing in your marriage

Image result for marriage over kids

So, as we wrap up this Valentine's Day week, I thought I would talk about a subject that is very near and dear to my heart! Something that I have struggled with before. When you become a parent it is very hard not to allow the kids to take over your life and become your #1 priority. Babies and kids are needy. They rely on you for everything for a long time. You feed them, clothe them, teach them, play with them, change them, put them to sleep and so much more. It is hard not to let it overwhelm other areas in your life. 

What I have learned is this: your marriage needs to come first. One day your kids will be grown and gone. You and your spouse will be left with each other. The key is: did you spend time investing in each other to grow that relationship and prepare for that time?

I love my son and soon-to-be daughter. I love being a mom. Nothing makes me happier than waking up to my son daily and spending time with him. BUT, I also enjoy time with my husband. ALONE. We don't get it as often as we would like. We are busy working, tending to the house, going to church, and just having down time. There are many weekends we just stay home and don't do anything. We do, however, make an effort to get away and have dates as often as we can. 

There is something about having dinner without a toddler asking for things. There is something about driving in the car without hearing Mickey Mouse playing on the dvd in the back. There is something about going to a movie in peace and quiet. It allows us to connect, sometimes reconnect, if it's been a while. 

I am not saying your kids should not be a priority. They absolutely should be and are for me. What I am saying is there needs to be times when your spouse IS the priority. When you take time for each other without kids. Often we forget that we are the models for what our kids will expect in the world. How we grow up and what we see is often how we think it should be. How our parents are, how they interact, experiences we have as kids...all of it molds us and we often try to mimic or do the same in our relationships. So, what we show our kids is what they expect to be the "norm". I want to show my kids a loving relationship. A happy relationship. I want them to see us invest in each other and know that is important. 

What do you do to strive to make your spouse a priority? Date nights, vacations, alone time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment