Monday, February 18, 2019

Christ Centered Marriage

Image result for christ centered relationship quotes


I had a plan for today's blog and this what not it. We didn't go to church yesterday. We had a busy weekend, I was exhausted, Tyler was exhausted... we have a very busy week ahead. These are not excuses. It just didn't work out. Sometimes you have to listen to your body and soul and know when you need a day to rest. Even when we don't go to church, I listen to a sermon online. My go to online services are Life Church with Craig Groeschel or Passion City with Louie Giglio. Both are incredible. I decided to listen in with Life Church this week because they have a series right now called Relationship Goals. Since I spent some time on the blog last week talking about marriage and love and investing in your marriage, I thought it was a fitting way to end the week. I didn't plan on sharing it here, but after listening and reflecting I couldn't NOT share it.

Craig and his wife Amy have been married close to 27 years. Now, I don't know about you, but in this day and time- when people have been married that long- I tend to listen to see how they have navigated life and marriage. Chances are, they are going to have some good advice to tell you, or at least some good stories! 

The sermon I listened to today was the first in this series- entitled "Christ Centered". There are four messages in the series. I think I will most likely go back and listen to the others as well. Craig started off talking about how man and woman were created, how man is not to be alone, and how man and woman become 1. (Genesis). The whole relationship of man and woman was created by God. 

He then went on to discuss how we look at people's pictures and stories and lives on social media and in the world. We think "relationship goals"... we want that. What we don't see is the work that is put into those relationships. Anyone can post a pretty picture on social media, but behind that there are fights and miscommunication and misunderstandings, and challenges. It is good to want something other than what has become the norm today- anger, distrust, divorce.... all things that happen when two people are together but doing their own thing and not having a similar vision in life. 

The number one thing that people mistake is thinking that you have to find the "one" to truly be happy in life. What we don't realize is that we already have the ONE, if we chose to have Him. God should be #1. He should top the list of priorities in all things we do. He should come before your spouse. Without him you wouldn't even be here to have a spouse. It is when we put other things before him that we start to see things unravel and our world tends to be scattered, a hot mess, unfulfilled. The key to that list is that your spouse should be #2! Not your house or job or money or material things or kids. Your spouse. 

When you put God as #1, you have a truly Christ centered life. It is about more than going to church or reading your bible. It is about putting him at the top of all things. When you do that it makes an impact on your values and beliefs. Then, that impacts the actions and decisions that you make. With that, it changes the impact and influence that you have on the world around you. See how that has an effect? BUT none of that is possible if you don't have God as #1. 
One thing that Craig truly believes helps couples to lead a more Christ centered life is praying together daily. I am not going to lie- I kinda cringed when he said this. While my husband and are Christ followers, we have never really prayed together. He does his thing and I do my own. We view it more privately. Well, as Craig said there are lots of things you do in front of your spouse that are private (like going to the bathroom- lol- did I mention he always makes me laugh in his sermons as well?). True, true Craig! If you can do those things, you can pray together. He gave three tips- Keep it short, keep it consistent, and if you miss a day, don't miss two. He said you can start simple and build up. It doesn't have to be 30 minutes of prayer. It doesn't have to be complicated. He just suggested you give it a try. The only thing it can do is build your relationship up and make it stronger! The devil is always on attack, especially to those who are true believers and have the faith. It is constant warfare. Wouldn't you rather have that prayer be something else to use in that battle? I know I would. I think we will give it a go. 

My challenge to you this week: Pray with your spouse. See how it changes your week. 

I have linked the sermon below. If you are ever in need of some faith, some Jesus....Craig is great. 


https://www.life.church/media/relationship-goals/christ-centered/

No comments:

Post a Comment