Monday, March 25, 2019

Spending time with Landry before baby #2

Last week, I talked a little about the fears that come with having a second baby. I don't think I am different than any mom in that I fear the change, fear the added responsibility and how I will juggle it all, fear how it will change life for my 2 year old. While there are fears, there is also excitement! I can't wait to see Landry be a big brother and to see the bond he and his sister will share. Our little family will be complete and it makes my heart happy! 

I have been taking some time to focus on Landry more in the last weeks of my pregnancy. I know these are the last weeks that we will have with him as an only child. I want to make the transition as easy for him as possible. I want him to feel loved and cared for. I don't want him to feel as though the baby came along and took his place. He is and will always be the boy who made me a mom and my first baby. Here are some of the things I have done with him, as his sister's arrival approaches:

1. I have included him in setting up her room. We talk about the baby. He comes in the room with me when I am working to organize and set things up. He gets excited about it and says "ooooo momma, look!". I tell him that this is his baby sister's room. Lots of things we have are his old baby gear and toys. I let him explore with them and play with them as he wants to. I tell him that those are for the baby and he is now a big boy. He seems really interested in the room and excited (for now- lol).

2. I have been taking more time after school and on weekends to spend time with him doing whatever he wants to do. We go outside and play, we go to the store, we play and read, and we cuddle- lots of cuddling. I know many people think you are supposed to stay home with a new baby for like ever at the beginning, but I think this time around will be much different. I cannot lock Landry and I up in the house because we have a new baby. He is a 2 year old and needs to get out and explore the world. While I will take precaution to protect my baby from germs, she will also have to learn to roll with it, because I don't want Landry to feel that the fun is gone because baby is here. We will learn to manage and do things together as a family. Luckily, I have two very supportive babysitters- my mom and mother-in-law, who will come with me and help me out as I need it.

3. This one isn't a fun one, but I have had to teach Landry a little more responsibility and discipline. When he is the only one that I have to focus my attention on, it's a little easier to let some things slide, but as we get ready for a new baby- I have had to get serious about some things. He helps me with things that he can help with- picking up, going to get himself a bottle of water, he even tries to feed the dog and is pretty good at it. I have also had to be stricter with rules. He has had to learn that no means no. It's a tough transition at 2 but he is getting it. I need him to be safe and good while I give the baby attention. He really is a good boy and does a great job.


I cannot wait to see how things work out with a new baby girl in the family. I know it's going to be a whole new adventure!

What things did you do to prepare your child or kids for a new baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment