Wednesday, June 5, 2013

From a teacher's point of view...

I have been swamped with end of the year stuff at work and blogging has been put on the back burner! I promise to be better about it!

I have written recently about stress at the end of the year and how it contributes to my emotional eating. It's a happy time, but also a sad time. Every year, I tell myself this was the best class and every year I love my kids so much and can't imagine loving the next group more. Then, the new group walks in my room in August and it starts all over again. This time of the year we are swamped with paperwork, cleaning, storing, etc. I always try to take time to reflect on my kids and the year that I have had. I am really going to miss them! This group has really touched my heart this year. Maybe it's because I grew up with their moms and dads and I know almost all of their families well. Maybe it's because I know where they were when they came to me and how far they have come! It amazes me every day. Kids are SO smart! So here are my thoughts from a teacher's point of view:

We spend a lot of time with your kids which means: we know what they love and what they don't, we know what they had for dinner last night, we notice when they get a hair cut or if they have new shoes, they tell us what they do at home, they tell us about their baby brother or sister, we know a lot about them as little people. Remember- kids are HONEST and they tell us a lot! (sometimes probably more than parents want them too! haha)

We love them A LOT!
We care for them when they have a bo-bo.
We hug them when they need encouraging or just because.
We teach them to read and hopefully foster a love of reading in them!
We laugh with them and cry with them.
We protect them.
We get attached.
We spoil them.
We miss them when they go.
We teach them so much more than just reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. We teach them to be friends, to have manners, to work hard, to believe in themselves, to care for another person, to be responsible, to try their best, to dream big..... the list could go on forever!

Much like parents, we wish we could give them the world and each kid takes a piece of our heart.

They are the reason we come to work every day. It's not because of paperwork, grading papers, or testing-trust me! LOL!

At the end of the year, don't forget to thank your child's teacher. Know that they love your children and want the best for them.

And on the same note- THANK YOU to all the parents out there that read to their kids, work with them at home, encourage them, reward them when they do a good job, have high expectations, take time out of their day for their child, do everything they can to help their child be successful! As a teacher, I appreciate you too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment