This is a hard one for me, because what I really want is a big bowl of cereal, but I know I shouldn't eat that all the time (but I do sometimes). Here are my typical breakfast options:
- Simple truth oatmeal (Original or Maple Brown Sugar which has natural flavorings). Sometimes I put fruit in my oatmeal or almond butter.
- Eggs and low sodium bacon. I put peppers and salsa on the eggs also.
- Smoothies! I love these. My "go to" smoothie has: 1 cup of fruit (I use either fruit blend or triple berry blend that I get at Kroger's frozen), 1/2 a banana, 2 scoops of protein powder, a handful of spinach leaves, and unsweetened almond milk to fill up the cup. It's yummy and keeps me full. Another one that I LOVE, but is higher calorie has: 1 banana, 2 scoops of protein powder (I use Aria, by the way!), 2 tbs PB2, peanut butter OR almond butter, and sweetened almond milk. It is like a shake, I swear it is so good. I don't normally have that for breakfast, but occasionally.
- Cereal! This is my weakness. I LOVE Honey Bunches of Oats, but it isn't the best health wise, so I try to get Simple Truth cereals or go for something better like Mini Wheats, multi-gran Cheerios, etc. I use almond milk with this.
- One thing I like to drink in the morning is Ocean Spray Lite Grapefruit juice. It is so good and 1 cup is only 50 calories. :)
I am a teacher, so I need easy lunch options that I can make. I have 30 minutes for lunch, so not much time to really enjoy my food, but enough time to get something healthy in to keep me going throughout the day.Here are typical lunch options:
- Chicken breasts, seasoned and baked
- Tilapia filet, baked
- Green Giant steamer vegetables. I love these! :)
- Sweet potatoes
- Salads, I like to mix these up but one of my favs is a salad with olives and tomatoes and greek dressing (I recently found a new one made with extra virgin olive oil that has 60 calories per serving- Kraft)
- Chicken stir fry with brown rice.
- I usually have a CarbMaster yogurt (Kroger) at lunch.
- Some days I have fruit.
- I keep tuna fish lunch kits on hand for when I need a "quick" option.
- Sometimes I will make turkey sausage, burgers or something of that kind.
This is the hard part for me! I live very close to family, so most of the time my dinner options are what they are cooking, because honestly who wouldn't eat when someone else is cooking? I try to eat meat and veggies and stay away from the heavy carb options. This meal I would say I eat in "moderation". I try to keep it as healthy as possible!
I drink a ton of water every day. I will occasionally have a Vitamin Water Zero, or unsweet tea. That's about it.
** I have recently been researching and preparing myself to eat "cleaner"**
What are your favorite meal options? Do you live a certain lifestyle- clean? paleo? I would love to hear your healthy eating story!